Summer overnight and day camp for girls ages 12 – 18
July 5 – 10, 2020
$950 boarding, $325 day.
The SBS Animation Intensive is an opportunity for girls who are interested in learning about the art of animation by working with professional artists and animators Jason Brown and Aya Yamasaki.
The camp covers the fundamentals of animation, focusing on hand-drawn and other 2D animation, both on paper and computers. Over the course of the week, students will work on small projects studying drawing and coloring technique, character design, and background composition, developing looping GIFs and short scenes to demonstrate what they learn. The week concludes with a show in our Geissler Gallery.
Our program includes:
- Reviewing examples of different sorts of animation
- Drawing instruction on digital tablets & Adobe software
- Learning animation workflow management on our Computer Lab
- Developing ideas & using art to tell a story
- Daily projects and challenges that build upon one another
- A chance to try afternoon electives with our Visual Arts Intensive students
- Daily recreation time for swimming, exercising, and enjoying our campus
- Fun evening activities
- Portfolio-building, for students will keep their work digitally
- An end-of-session exhibition of student work
While there is no required prerequisite, parents and prospective students should note that animation work rewards remarkable patience and focus. Students should have an interest in and be comfortable drawing for long periods.
About Our Faculty:
Aya Yamasaki and Jason Brown are professional animators. Their hand-drawn animation, illustrations, comics, and other works draw inspiration from the natural and magical worlds, the humorous and tragic, and folk storytelling traditions. Their work has shown at festivals across the nation and abroad. In addition to his animation work, Jason teaches Global Tech at Stoneleigh-Burnham and works in our Technology department.