Math Department Mission
The Stoneleigh-Burnham Mathematics Department believes that each and every student should be challenged to develop her mathematical interests and abilities as much as possible while she is at Stoneleigh-Burnham School. To this end, we maintain a curriculum with a sufficient variety of offerings at all levels so that each student may be placed in the appropriate courses from the time she enters until she graduates. As a result, most of our students continue to take courses within the department beyond the minimum graduation requirements. Our goals for our students include the following:
- To see themselves as competent and self-confident mathematicians.
- To appreciate the abstract beauty of mathematical theories and to use appropriate mathematical vocabulary to express themselves.
- To make real-life connections to applications of mathematics, in particular, to develop a sense of financial literacy applicable to their own lives.
- To develop math stamina, the ability to take time to wrestle with difficult problems.
- To make appropriate use of technology in the study of mathematics.
4 years required including Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and at least one more year of higher mathematics, including a mathematics course every year until graduation.