IEA Teams Win Regionals
Stoneleigh-Burnham School’s Middle School and Upper School Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) Teams both took home championship titles at the 2020 IEA Regionals on Sunday, February 16. The event was hosted at the Mount Holyoke College Equestrian Center in South Hadley, Massachusetts.
SBS eighth grader Jessica Romano ’24 and ninth grader Ava Smith ’23 also qualified individually for Zone 1 Finals on the flat and over fences. Middle School team riders advancing to Zones include: Chaya Friedman ‘25, Claire Drahzal ‘24, Jessica Romano ‘24, and Skye Evans ‘24. Upper School team riders advancing to Zones include: Ava Smith ‘23, Julia Yuan ‘23, Madeline Johnson ‘22, and Siena Gamberoni ‘20. Both the individuals and teams will compete at Zones the weekend of March 28-29 at The Big E in Springfield, Massachusetts, along with riders from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island.
According to Katie Kowalyshyn ’20, the Upper School Team last competed in Regionals in the 2014-2015 school year, and the Middle School Team last competed in the 2013-2014 school year. Hunt Seat Riding Instructor Emma Milford commented, “These riders have worked hard in lessons all year. We are so proud of how well they performed at Regionals. Not only are they great athletes, they also continually supported each other throughout the entire process.”
- Claire Drahzal ’24 – won team flat (MS) and third individually for Intermediate
- Skye Evans ’24 – second on flat individually and first for the team (MS) in Beginner Walk Trot Canter
- Chaya Friedman ’25 – second on flat individually and for the team (MS) in Novice
- Siena Gamberoni ’20 – first over fences, third on flat, both for the team (HS) for the Open Division
- Maddie Johnson ’22 – third team fences and flat (HS) for Novice
- Nina Kauderer ’20 – fourth on the flat individually for the intermediate division
- Jess Romano ’24 – first individually for both over fences and on the flat for Intermediate
- Ava Smith ’23 – first and second for team (HS) and first and second for individual in Intermediate
- Julia Yuan ’23 – first on the flat for the team (HS) in Beginner Walk Trot Canter