International Baccalaureate History II (Higher Level)
IB History is offered at the higher level (HL) and is designed as a two-year course for students pursuing an IB Certificate or IB Diploma.
The aims of the HL history course are to:
- Promote an understanding of history as a discipline, including the nature and diversity of its sources, methods and interpretations
- Encourage an understanding of the present through critical reflection upon the past
- Encourage an understanding of the impact of historical developments at national, regional and international levels
- Develop an awareness of one’s own historical identity through the study of the historical experiences of different cultures.
Year two of the IB program will focus on HL Option 1: History of Africa and the Middle East. There are three specifics areas of study, the Ottoman Empire (1800-1923), War and Change in the Middle East and North Africa 1914-1945 and Post War Developments in the Middle East 1945-2000.
* International Baccalaureate (IB) courses are two years in length, taken during a student’s 11th and 12th grade years.
International Baccalaureate (IB) History Instructor: Karen Pleasant