British Horse Society Program Admission Process
The British Horse Society (BHS) program is an internationally recognized training and certification program open to both students of Stoneleigh-Burnham School and non-students. The goal of the British Horse Society program at Stoneleigh-Burnham is to prepare future equestrian professionals to succeed in their chosen field by giving them a practical, hands-on foundation from which to build their careers in stable management, horse training, and riding instruction. It requires full commitment by the enrolled student to the pursuit of his or her equestrian education.
Students of Stoneleigh-Burnham School may pursue “Track 1” or “Track 2.” Please see the British Horse Society Handbook for a detailed explanation of these tracks.
Non-students will pursue “Track 3” in the program and will thus be full-time British Horse Society students. Please see the British Horse Society Handbook for a detailed explanation of this track.
Admission process for Stoneleigh-Burnham School students:
- Apply/gain admission to Stoneleigh-Burnham School. Admission requirements/details can be found here.
- Apply to the BHS program. Students may request an application from Equestrian Director George Halkett. (Please note that separate essay questions are required for portions of this application as well as a video of the applicant riding).
- Undergo a personal interview with a member of the BHS instructional staff at Stoneleigh-Burnham School. In person interviews are strongly recommended, but telephone/Skype interviews can be arranged when extenuating circumstances apply.
For Full-Time BHS Candidates (not enrolled at Stoneleigh-Burnham):
- Complete the BHS application for full-time BHS candidates. (Please note that high school and/or college information, a detailed work history, and a video of the candidate riding are required for portions of this application).
- Undergo a personal interview with a member of the BHS instructional staff at Stoneleigh-Burnham School. In-person interviews are strongly recommended, but telephone/Skype interviews can be arranged when extenuating circumstances apply.
- Submit to a standard employee background check.