Decolonizing education is love work, in the words of scholar and activist bell hooks, based in mutual respect and multipartiality. SBS is committed to ongoing practice of centering diversity, equity, and inclusion work on our campus and in our broader community.
Social Justice Resources for Families
- Dignity & Respect Campaign: 30 Tips for Incorporating into Daily Life Comprehensive, easily navigable resources for examining implicit bias, building cultural awareness, and being culturally responsive. Videos, printable charts, book and article resources are also available here.
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack “I was taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group.” Article by Wellesley professor Peggy McIntosh.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) National organization with local chapters across the U.S. that provides resources and toolkits for education and action by white folks in solidarity with BIPOC.
- How to Talk to Girls about Racism, Protests & Their Role in Shaping the Future One hour Q&A format webinar that offers a synthesis of the larger issues around anti-racism and anti-bias as well as concrete resources and action steps.
- Talking to Kids about Black Lives Matter Article by school counselor Marisa Yang Bertucci with an excellent list of resources following the text for mental health support, examining implicit bias, and anti-racism work.
- Resources for Parents and Caregivers about Race and Racism A living document created by Safire Dajong at the Collaborative for Education Services with resources for families, primarily geared toward white-identifying co-conspirators and non-BIPOC people.
- The State of Play: The Act of Playing Shapes How Our Children See the World NYT Parenting article emphasizing the importance of play in building core competencies and processing their experiences, including trauma and making meaning.
Interested in learning together? Contact our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Coordinator Sam Sattin Torres at email@example.com for opportunities to join peer discussion groups and community listening circles.