THE ACADEMIC CUP / awarded to the member of the Senior Class who has maintained the highest academic standing.
- The first of this year’s two recipients has distinguished herself with her meticulous and steady approach to learning. She is a hard worker who takes her learning seriously and always goes well beyond what is expected of her. An IB diploma candidate, she has pushed herself to excel in every subject. She has travelled to England and France during summers to enhance her learning. She sets a positive tone in the classroom and is consistently encouraging and supportive of her peers.The first recipient of the Academic Cup is Nadya Baum.
- The second recipient is well known for her passion for learning and her drive to make a difference in the world. She has thoroughly immersed herself in the most rigorous curriculum possible, and has also taken classes in coding and engaged in summer science programs. An IB diploma candidate who has achieved at the highest levels, she is also a talented dancer who finds joy in collaborating with others. The second recipient of the Academic Cup is Ira Hysi.
THE MARGARET AND EDWARD EMERSON AWARD / in recognition of the four-year senior who has made the best use of her academic opportunities by challenging herself to take risks in support of her learning.
- This student’s many activities and interests all express her love of constantly seeking connections in her learning and pushing herself to explore ideas deeply. Through her passion for acting, debate, and journalism, Beatrice Brynda challenged herself to be a creative risk-taker and passionate learner.
THE VIRGINIA GILES WHITEMORE PRIZE / in recognition of outstanding collaborative leadership.
- The two winners of this award set a remarkable example of what female leadership can be. Supremely organized and detail-oriented these two also set a positive and joyful tone in their dual role. It is hard to imagine a pair better suited to leading their community: warm, inclusive, and enthusiastic, Katharine Kowalyshyn and Melissa Ndabarasa steered SBS through a spirited year with unexpected challenges. As strong leaders, they came together with hope and optimism to help their community make it through the year.
THE SPENCER PRIZE / in recognition of a commitment to developing and using voice in powerful ways.
- As a top debater who earned a spot at a world debate championship, this dynamic young woman is also committed to helping others develop their own voices. Joy Lundberg worked tenaciously to become a powerful speaker while generously encouraging novice speakers to embrace their own paths to confident public speaking.
THE MABEL HOOD EMERSON PRIZE / in recognition of the senior who has done the most for Stoneleigh-Burnham School in scholarship, loyalty, and leadership.
- As a 6-year senior who has been part of the SBS community all her life, Nadya Baum has been integral to every aspect of the school. As class president, a team captain, a scholar, and an ambassador abroad, Nadya has a steady sense of purpose and is a genuine leader and role model in all she does.
THE MIRIAM EMERSON PETERS AWARD / in recognition of working to deepen community understanding and awareness.
- A tireless advocate for social justice, Nikita Mangaru is also a deep believer in using education and open discussion to help people learn how to become more aware and inclusive in their every action. She brought her energy and passion to her role as Head of Community Alliance and encouraged us to explore the power of social change.
THE PROSPECT HILL PRIZE / in recognition of meaningful artistic expression.
- This student found that exploring her artistic side while at SBS became a vital component of understanding who she is as a student. Tingyin (Stephanie) Liu thinks deeply, and writes eloquently, about what she is visually expressing in her art. She was courageous both in exploring new forms and in sharing her thoughts about her process.
THE STONELEIGH-BURNHAM PRIZE / in recognition of resilience and strength of character.
- Respected by the entire community for her positivity, compassion, kindness, and reliability, Nashaylah Pierre-Louis demonstrates the same high levels of integrity whether she is in class, on the playing field, or in a quiet setting with friends. She is unwavering in her commitment to being true to herself while helping others find their best selves.