With the highest priority placed on the health and welfare of our student-athletes, the Stoneleigh-Burnham School Department of Athletics has a full time Athletic Trainer on staff. Athletic Trainers have extensive training in recognizing and responding to athletic based injuries. These individuals play a vital role in the daily health of our student-athletes. Athletic trainers operate under the guidance of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) and are licensed by the State of Massachusetts, Board of Registration in Allied Health. The NATA has established six domains in which Athletic Trainers specialize. These include:
- Injury Prevention: Injury prevention comes in many forms, ranging from individual strength training to focus on a specific concern to team fitness training.
- Recognition and Evaluation of Injuries: Athletic Trainers specialize in the recognition and evaluation of athletic injuries, often these injury evaluations will occur on field directly after the injury was sustained. Otherwise, evaluations are done individually in the Athletic Training room.
- Management and Treatment of Injuries: The management and treatment of injuries is vital to the health and well being of our student athletes. Proper initial care is the first step to returning an athlete to full function. When appropriate, the Athletic Trainer will serve as a referral source for outside consult. Most often injury management and treatment can be done on site in the Athletic Training room.
- Injury Rehabilitation: Rehabilitation of an injury is extremely important to return athletes to full function. Proper rehabilitation ensures full recovery and decreases the chance for subsequent injuries to occur. Often, athletes will set up individual rehabilitation sessions with the Athletic Trainer on site during free periods or after school. Depending on the injury the Athletic Trainer may also refer the athlete to a local Physical Therapist for rehabilitation.
- Organization and Administration: Sports Medicine policies and procedures are vital to the success and well being of our student athletes. This ensures quality and consistent care to all who require the services of the Athletic Trainer at Stoneleigh-Burnham School.
- Education and Counseling: Educating our student athletes is vital to their long-term health and wellness. This is a focus of the Sports Medicine department. We want our athletes to learn life long lessons and take the information they have gained while at Stoneleigh-Burnham School and benefit from this knowledge as they move on. Counseling is often a critical piece to the injury process, ranging from dealing with sensitive injuries or issues to the psychological nature of injury and return to participation, the Athletic Trainer serves as a first resource in dealing with this process. The Athletic Trainer may also serve as a resource for further consult from our school Nurse, Counselor, or outside intervention.