Success in the 21st century is dependent on tolerance and global mindedness. Stoneleigh-Burnham welcomes students from all over the world. Students here learn as much about diverse peoples, places, cultures, and communication styles from their peers as they do from the faculty.
An international academic perspective
The academic curriculum from 7th through 12th grade incorporates international issues and cultural awareness in all disciplines. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (taken during 11th and 12th grades) encourages interdisciplinary thinking, approaches subjects from an international perspective, teaches for understanding and self-reflection, and affords students a balanced view of themselves in the larger world. Universities and colleges worldwide recognize and respect this academically rigorous program. Stoneleigh-Burnham School is the only girls’ school in New England to offer the IB.
International Student Support
- Beginning in 11th grade, international students will work closely with College Counselor Lauren Cunniffe, who is knowledgeable and experienced in the needs of international students applying to college.
- Our International Program Directors work closely with all international students to assist them through the admissions and assimilation processes. We will assist students with transportation, I-20 and visa procedures, health and medical questions, counseling, communication with parents and agents/consultants and any other situations in which students need support.
- Our English Language (EL) program serves students whose English-language abilities range from intermediate to advanced. The program consists of an EL humanities option in the Middle School and Intermediate and Advanced EL in the Upper School. All incoming international students will take an English placement test during Orientation.
- All new international students participate in an extended orientation, carried out through weekly meetings. These meetings focus on topics such as dining customs, classroom procedures, relationships with faculty and peers, academic honesty, culture shock, and more.
- We offer excursions to local areas of interest and outings to international restaurants and markets in surrounding areas to help international students immerse more fully in our local community. We also enjoy celebrating international holidays with students and encourage everyone to share culture and traditions from home.
International Student Admission
Associate Director of Admissions Brittany Weiss is available to help international students who wish to apply to Stoneleigh-Burnham School. Please contact Brittany at 413-774-2711 x242 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.